Parliamentary General Election and District By-Election
Prospective Candidate & Agent Event
Wednesday 6 November 2019 at 6pm
Are you up for a challenge? How well do you know your community?
Could you represent local people? What can you bring to democracy?
A Parliamentary General Election will be held on Thursday 12 December 2019 to elect a Member of Parliament to represent the Dover Constituency. On the same date, if the vacancy is contested, there will be an election for one District Councillor to the Guston, Kingsdown and St Margaret’s-at-Cliffe District Ward.
To become a candidate at the Parliamentary General Election you must:
- be a British citizen, qualifying Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the Republic of Ireland
- be at least 18 years of age
- pay a £500 deposit
- and you must not be disqualified from standing. The full range of disqualifications is complex, and you should check the Electoral Commission website for details before completing a nomination form.
To become a candidate at the District by-election you must be:
- a British citizen, qualifying Commonwealth citizen or European Union Citizen
- at least 18 years of age.
In addition to those two qualifications, you must also:
- have an entry on the electoral register in the local authority area
- have lived, worked or owned property in the local authority area for the whole of the previous 12 months
An event for prospective candidates will be held in the Council Chamber at the Dover District Council Offices in Whitfield on Wednesday 6 November 2019 at 6pm.
It will cover how to complete the required paperwork for standing as a candidate at the elections due to be held on 12 December 2019. Nomination packs will be available for collection at the end of the presentation.
To reserve a place at the event, please email the Elections Team on email@example.com or call 01304 872344. Please note that space is limited so booking is advised.
For any queries regarding electoral matters or to receive a nomination pack by post after the event, please contact the Elections Team using the details above.
Further information on standing as a candidate can be found on the Electoral Commission website – www.electoralcommission.org.