In 1286 a college was founded in Wingham by Archbishop Peckham and many of the older buildings in the village date back to this time. The present church of St Mary the Virgin was built on the site of an earlier and smaller church.
The 19th century saw the establishment of a colliery and a railway. These no longer exist but Wingham endures as a thriving community.
Wingham is situated on the A257, midway between Canterbury and Sandwich. It was inhabited in the Stone Age but was first established as a village by the Romans. In early Saxon times the manor of Wingham came into the possession of the Archbishop of Canterbury and is recorded as such in the Domesday Book.